Malissa's World

Trying to keep up with the Joneses isn't easy, but we will try to help you with a glimpse of our life in our blog.

Monday, December 31, 2012

Christmas 2012


My mom made Christmas a special time for us and it was always my favorite holiday of the year. I am hoping to pass this tradition down to my children.

I try to put up the Christmas tree around Thanksgiving weekend and leave it up until New Years. The best part is putting up the decorations, ornaments, and lights. This year I was pleasantly surprised that the kids wanted to help and they did a great job putting the “unbreakable” ones where ever they could reach it. I of course put the valuable and breakable ones higher on the tree. Of course I turn on the Christmas music while doing this task to get us in the spirit.

Here is a list of things we did this year to make things special:

-Winter Wonderland-a very magical place of Christmas land at Navy Pier in Chicago, which has blow up slides, ferris wheel, tilt-a-whirl and other rides. We go ever year and the kids love it. I can’t wait until they are old enough to ice skating.

-Baking-we make treats for Daddy’s employees at lab. The kids had a good time making sugar cookies and decorating them. We also made pumpkin bread and chocolate chip cookies. As the kids get older, I am willing to make more as long as they help.

-Books-I read special Christmas books like how do snowmen celebrate Christmas and the little drummer boy.  Of course Twas the night before Christmas.

-Christmas lights outside-this year I surprised the kids and decorated the trees outside. It was a special treat for them.  Of course we drive around the neighborhood by my parents for them to see the lights on the houses.

-Ornaments-my aunt bestowed a ornament to me each year until I was about 18. I am doing the same for my kids and purchasing them an ornament each year.

-Spending Christmas eve at the grandparents-this year we were home and did not go to Indiana. We had the kids open their presents earlier and a little each day. I didn’t want them to get overwhelmed with a bunch of gifts at one time. I wanted to give them the chance to play with their toys a little each day. I planned for the kids to have a great time with their cousins and grandparents. We baked cookies, did some crafts, played with the dogs, and just hung out. The kids woke up to presents from Santa and Grandma’s sticky buns. We then proceeded to make Christmas dinner with tons of food. Grandma and Grandapa along with Aunt Teri surprised us by making homemade ravoli’s with grandma Barber’s sauce. It was very delicious. Aunt Teri also got some desserts from an Italian bakery. The cookies were the best.

Unfortunately, we did not have a white Christmas. It did snow just before but there was a light dusting and it didn’t stay.

What did the kids get this year? We try hard to incorporate learning materials as well as fun toys. It is no fun for a child not to get any toys.

Braedon-he wished so much to get a crystal lego sweeper but Lego stopped making them. Of course they are out on the market but were $300. Instead he got: glow-in the dark truck, remote controlled truck, lock box to hold his secret pirate storage chest, crystal growing kit (which he loves and crystals are very hot topic), the first set of sugar creek gang books, connect four game, and gross science kit. Also, the transam hallmark ornament.

Sebastian-It is hard getting him gifts because his birthday is the 1st of the month. He asked for the power miners lego lava traz and of course it was reasonable so we got that for him. He got a remote control dinosaur that Jillian broke less then 1 hour since it was open. It is no longer useful . He also got sequence game, Billy & blaze books, my little ponies, and a maze ball.

Jillian-She ended up getting clothes. A bunch of dress up princess dresses and shoes. Her cousins gave up some of their Barbies and a Barbie Train. Jane Eyre and other books, and of course some hello kitty items. She got a jacket, dress, and a wallet.

I write this as a momento to for my children when they ask me what did they get or how did we celebrate. As I get older I am sure my memory will fade and possibly one day I won’t be around to tell them about their childhood.

We try hard to make memories and give our kids a childhood to remember. For a happy child will be a happy adult.

Love you always,
Your mother

No comments:

Post a Comment