Malissa's World

Trying to keep up with the Joneses isn't easy, but we will try to help you with a glimpse of our life in our blog.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

A wise word


To my kids:

I write this letter after learning of a disturbing court case involving young boys assaulting a young girl. The ages of these involved were 15-17 year olds. The young lady in question was taken to several parties and was drinking alcohol. This of course impaired her judgment and she became unconscious. Along her journey several boys sexually assaulted her, took pictures, posted messages on social media, and took videos. The young lady woke up the following morning and was informed of her situation via messages from friends and foes. Eventually charges were brought against two of the boys and they were found guilty. Although the other boys gained immunity in the case, their lives are not without trouble. 

Some of them have been kicked out of college and scholarship removed. All those involved will suffer for the rest of their lives. This case was in Ohio in the year 2012-2013.

I am writing this letter to my children for many different reasons.
It is not ok to ever touch someone sexually when they are unconscious. They can not give consent.

First: If you ever happen to be in a situation where you are pressured by other around you to do anything….DO NOT DO IT.  Please call us, family, other friends, police, or anyone who can get you out of your situation. Or just walk away.

Second: If you ever find yourself in a situation where you are being a victim, please say something. Try to get out of the situation. Call someone.

Thirdly: if you are a witness to anything happening that you think is not acceptable. Tell someone. Do not participate, do not videotape, do not write anything about it, and most importantly help. Anyone of these acts is a punishable crime. If you see something—say something.

I write this to you because it reminds me of a potentially devastating event that happened to me when I was 14. I was a freshmen in highschool and I really liked this boy who was one year older than I was. I called him one evening and found he was with a group of boys partying. I let him know I was home by myself and his friend gave him my address. About 30 minutes later I had about 6  boys at my door. We had a screen door and the main door. They pushed their way into the house. We lived in a split level which means when you enter you either go upstairs or down. They split up and half went up and half of them went down. I went up to follow the guy that I liked. I was cornered in my room by this guy and his friend. They wanted to have sex with me and were pressuring me. They were drunk and kept pulling my arm and trying to coax me. I said no many times and then I screamed NO and ran from the room. More events happened that evening, but I was very lucky. My sister arrived home just in time because I do not know what would have happened if she didn’t.

I blame myself for putting myself in this situation and of course the boys also should take some of the blame as well.

I write this to my kids as a warning of what could potentially happen when you are with a crowd of friends and their influence on you. I caution my kids to use their judgment wisely.

I love you very much and want the best for you. 
Your mom

1 comment:

  1. Nice post, Malissa. This is such a heartbreaking event. No 'winners' no matter how the court rules - everyone involved will carry this with them the rest of their lives. And unfortunately, good kids will continue to find themselves caught in compromising situations. How brave of you to share your story. I've been there too. I agree this topic needs to be discussed with our children (though it's not something I look forward to). -nicole

    ReplyDelete